Friday, September 24

SEEN: Gloria & Emilio Estefan


Sometimes when you’re in the mall, do you smile at the older couples that walking through the mall holding hands? Not to write yet another post about relationships, but, I find myself fascinated by couples that have been together for multiple decades. I feel the need to cheer them on.

The other night I was watching biography with my sister and our roommate. Well really, it bored them to sleep, but I found it very encouraging. Despite the fact that Gloria’s wedding dress was strange, they have had an amazing love story. First of all, he is the only man she’s ever been with. The commentators said that as though it was a bad thing, but I don’t see anything wrong with him being her only lover. I actually admire this example of love and I hope to one day have a similar story. I’m sure with their public careers Gloria could have been with other men, but she hasn’t, and they have been married since 1978. 38 years. That’s amazing. That’s like eternity in Hollywood years.

Looking at this I wonder what are the ingredients of a successful marriage? I look at them and I see that they are both Catholic, and so I’m sure being the same religion helps. Also, they both care about the lack of freedom in Cuba. From this I see that caring about the same political issues helps strengthen that bond. From their example I see that sometimes its good to have difference, especially if they compliment each other. For example, she is quiet and strong, and he is more of what people call a “mover and a shaker.” And these are just things I’ve observed from the biography.

My own parents celebrated 25 years of marriage this summer, and I love it. I love them. My grandparents have been married for about 48 years, and that is so cool. I’ve been thinking about this since watching that documentary on Tuesday. I think its examples like these that make me hold out for something I can’t yet see. My single friends and I make jokes (as single women are apt to do), but I am not a part of and have no desire to be part of the “hook up” culture.

My favorite Gloria Estefan song is “Con los anos que me quedan” from her “Mi Tierra” album, the lyrics say this:

Sé que aún me queda una oportunidad

Sé que aún no es tarde para recapacitar

Sé que nuestro amor es verdadero

Con los años que me quedan por vivir

Demostraré cuánto te quiero

Con los años que me quedan
Yo viviré por darte amor.

Borrando cada dolor

Con besos llenos de pasión

Como te amé por vez primera

Con los años que me quedan

Te haré olvidar cualquier error.

No quise herirte, mi amor

Sabes que eres mi adoración

Y lo serás mi vida entera

No puedo imaginar vivir sin ti

No quiero recordar como te perdí

Quizás fue inmadurez de mi parte

No te supe querer

Te aseguro que los años que me quedan

Los voy a dedicar a ti

Hacerte tan feliz

Que te enamores más de mí

Yo te amaré hasta que muera

¿Cómo comprobar que no soy quien fui?

El tiempo te dirá, si tienes fe en mí

Que como yo te amé

Más nadie

Te podrá amar jamás.

Dime que no es el final

{Primer verso}Sé que nuestro amor es verdadero

Y con los años que me quedan por vivir

Demostraré cuánto te quiero

Cuánto te quiero

It’s a song about promising to love and care for each other for life, despite arguments in the past. And I see this willingness to move forward as the sercret staying-power in long lasting relationships. But what do I know? Anyway, what examples have you seen of long lasting love stories? I’d love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Christian. Latina. Single. Career girl. Aspiring Writer.